As I mentioned in a previous post, Mondays are always very busy. I am busy all day, and then need to have dinner on the table quickly, as I get back from driving my daughter home from gymnastics at about 5:45, and need to leave the house again at 6:45pm. I’ve decided that slow cooker meals are definitely the solution, but I’d also like to try to do Meatless Monday. Last week when I made the Slow Cooker Chicken Chili, I got to thinking how easy it would probably be to put together a vegetarian chili recipe. This was my first time making up my own slow cooker recipe, and I was so happy with how it turned out!
I prepped everything on Sunday. I chopped up all the vegetables, and put the frozen corn in the bag too so it would be thawed by the next day. The one downside of this is the onion smell permeated throughout the fridge by Monday morning, even through the bag.
On Monday around noon, I dumped the bag of veggies in the slow cooker, put in the spices, then opened all the cans, rinsed the beans and put it all in the slow cooker. It took about 5 minutes. I mixed it together, and it was pretty thick, but I figured the veggies would release a lot of liquid.
I cooked it for about 6 hours on low. It came out tasting and looking terrific! The sauce was just the right consistency. The kids liked it, because I used the mild chili powder this time. My husband and I added some Sriracha in ours to spice it up. I had mine with some cheese and Greek yogurt (for taste, and added protein). We all agreed it was just as good as chili with meat in it, and my kids ate up all the zucchini and orange bell pepper without even noticing it was in there.
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
- 1 large zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into approx. 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (I used McCormick’s, which is very mild)
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce (or pureed tomatoes)
- 1 15 oz. can diced fire roasted tomatoes with green chiles (though regular diced tomatoes would probably be fine)
- 1 15 oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can great northern beans, drained and rinsed (probably could use any other kind you like)
- Put everything in the slow cooker
- Cook for about 6 hours on low (would probably work well for 3-4 hours on high)
Serves 6. Cal: 194, Carbs: 40g, Fiber: 11g, Sugar: 9g, Protein: 11g, Fat: 0g